Park City Fishing Report
Another week of hot and dry conditions hasn’t done us any favors here in the Park City area. The past couple of weeks have provided some good days locally, however it has required some imagination. Small patterns, light tippets and slow inside drifts have been the program. As of August 17, flows have been elevated on the Middle Provo River to approximately 600 cfs. That is a lot of water any time of year and it will make for challenging wading. You will have to adjust your tactics and I wouldn’t expect the fishing to get any easier. The good news, is that it is good for the fishery long term and the elevated flows should make for some excellent fall fishing.
No doubt, there are still hot and dry conditions in our immediate forcast, but I am starting to feel a slight chill in the air when the sun goes down. Next week looks to be bringing some overcast days and lower daytime temps. This will be beneficial for our remaining caddis and PMD hatches. Pay attention to your weather. It could make a signifigant difference, especially if you’re looking to throw a dry fly. At this point, terrestials should definitely be a part of your game-plan. I have seen some good numbers of hoppers around, specifically in the Uinta Basin. Long leaders, fine tippets and a reach cast will benefit you greatly. I would strongly encourage dropping down one tippet size than what you normally use.
Crowds are down and there really are less bodies on the water. If and when, you do get out, pay attention and maybe avoid the runs where fish are getting pounded day-in and day-out. Try a micro worm or leech in the faster water and don’t neglect the pocket water, you may find a fish or two willing to rise to your presentation. Especially, on those cooler overcast days.
Upper Green River
As always we are looking forward to fall fishing in Wyoming. Currently, we have decided to move our fall trip dates back a couple of weeks. Flows on the Upper Green are at a good level, but the water temps are a bit high for successful fish release. If you are considering getting up there we would strongly recommend waiting til the end of September. Otherwise you WILL be putting those fish at risk. We are currently booking dates from September 23 – November 14. We would love to fish with you and prime dates are still available. Give us a call 435-631-9933 or book with us online at www.parkcityflyfishingguides.com.